Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Plugging Away

That's about where I am at right now...just plugging away, trying to do what I think Abbie needs, and usually feeling at the end of the day like I didn't get 50% accomplished of what I'd hoped to do.

It's easy to let a feeling of defeat sneak up on me, and it has me down on the mat before I even realize it's laid its hands on me. The one sure antidote is spending time alone reading the Bible. Thankfully, we have a nurse today, so I was able to read my Psalms cycle and saw some amazing things.

I started in Psalm 8 and read the familiar verse that says, "From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise..." How often I have envisioned praise pouring out of Abbie's lips. That picture is an anchor for me. But, the rest of the verse goes on to say, "...because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger." The praise of the littlest ones is ordained to silence the enemy -- God trusts in the power of children's praise to do a mighty thing, and so do I. The prayers and praise of Abbie's little friends all over the world are doing a powerful work in Abbie's life and restoring her to health. Please, tell your children what a difference they are making for Abbie - -she is really depending on them to keep talking to Jesus about her when they pray and to continue praising His Name with their words and lives.

She was a little sleepy at therapy yesterday after waking early in the morning. But, she still did things to encourage us. We were working on rolling, and she'd gotten onto her tummy. I told her that she could choose which way to go from there, and she immediately lifted her left hip. I've been spending much time lately researching therapy options, both for Abbie and for the Hope Program. While it's exciting to see things we've not yet tried, it can also be exhausting to reason through what would be best for her and what we can realistically do. Please pray for wisdom through this ever-continuing process.

Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior,
who daily bears our burdens.
Our God is a God who saves;
from the Sovereign Lord comes escape from death
-- Psalm 68:19-20

No comments: