Sunday, April 24, 2011

Risen Indeed!



Holding the precious lei presented to her by her beloved (and lovely) Auntie Merle at church today.  I only wish you could smell it!
I really, really, really LOVE my dad!


...and my puppy really loves me!


Easter 2011....the boys still hate taking photos!



With 3/4 of my sons....we missed you Chase!!


Easter provides me, at last,  respite from a week that has left me feeling like I've lived through seven days of spin cycle.  I don't think it a coincidence that as I celebrate the sacrifice that has led to new birth (Oh, Death...just where is your sting???),  the birth of new insights, paradigms, outlooks, and plans with regard to Abbie's body is calling us to somber recognition, determined sacrifice and faith-based rejoicing.

I met Leonid Blyum, the inventor of ABR, and researcher Mark Driscoll, at their hotel one week ago.  I was slated to introduce them at the Pacific Rim International Conference on Disabilities  the next day, so I wanted to touch base to see if there were any particular things they wanted me to highlight.

OK -- that was part of the reason.  The more honest explanation is that I wanted to check them out.  I had invited numerous people to the conference to hear them, and wanted to know ahead of time if I'd made a huge mistake.  Within five minutes, those concerns evaporated, and I knew I was in the company of men who were going to stretch my mind, and hopefully, change Abbie's path.

I have learned so much this week, and feel compelled to share it with other brain-injury families.  So, I will break it into installments.  Yes, it is about Abbie, but from the beginning, where possible, Ray and I have committed to make this journey matter for ALL children who are in Abbie's position.  Thankfully, what I learned about Abbie this week translates very easily to all children recovering from brain injuries.
I will be writing about:  The "Lavish" versus "Thrifty" approaches to rehabilitation  [which explains the basis for ABR, and also why traditional rehab doesn't work for severely impacted people]; the differences between CP and acquired brain injuries in regards to physical rehab; the value of stillness; why we can't solve the secretion problem;  Abbie's biggest challenge (which is not unique to her), "Fake Strength", and where we go from here, as a family and as a state.  So, stayed tuned for all that.

On this day, though,  our thoughts go to our families spread out on the mainland, and to friends we've been blessed to have far and wide. With such a profound reason to celebrate, we wish we could all be together today....but, that Day is coming!!

God Bless.


2 comments:

annie said...

Beautiful pictures! Wishing me and Izzy were in Hawaii with you and Abbie!

Sandy said...

As I continue on my journey as a caregiver, when I start to feel overwhelmed and, perhaps, a little sorry for myself, I think of your grace and unfailing patience and love for Abbie. It humbles me and I draw strength from it. My job is not nearly as difficult as yours. My favorite quote (and I may have shared it with you when we were together) is from Mother Teresa who said "I know that G-d will never give me more than I can handle...I just wish He didn't think I could handle so much!" When you walk with G-d, your needs will be met. I know that you and
G-d are BIIIIIG "walking buddies"!:)Love, Sandy