Saturday, October 24, 2009

Abbie in the News

I almost titled this post "We Have a Witness!!" because as part of the news story, a very kind photographer visited our house. Dennis Oda, from the Honolulu Star Bulletin spent an hour with us, capturing Abbie doing many different things, most notably, multiplication.

We seated her in her chair, set up a complex problem, and let her go. When she picked the right answer, I held it in front of her face and asked if that was her choice. She gave me audible confirmation, which elicted a "Wow" from Dennis. Finally! Rae and I were so relieved to have a third party witness what she can do....if only it had been on video.

The day before I'd spent almost an hour on the phone with Christine Donnelly, whose talent became obvious to me when I read the article that she produced from that interview. I think she made me sound much more coherent than I felt I was in the interview.

Here's the link:

Name in the News: Tiffany Vara


I owe Christine, Dennis and the Star-Bulletin a huge "Mahalo" for bringing generous and positive attention to brain injury recovery.

My interview with Christine also presented me with a challenge of opportunity. For the past several months I've been working diligently at preparing a company for launch. I felt I was about a week out from a soft opening the day I talked with her. When she told me the piece would run on Friday, and would include the web address, I said, "Well, it will be open Friday!"

I hung up the phone and wondered what I'd done, and if I could pull it off. A little sleep deprivation and lot of typing later...it's done! So, I would like to invite you to visit Matrisse, my wellness company built on everything that Miss Abbie, and many generous teachers have taught us through this journey.

Abbie and I have been keeping in our routine of reading Psalms in the morning. Sometimes, when I am certain no one is within earshot, I even sing them to her (making up my own off-tune melodies as I go). One that we read this week seemed penned just for her:

Psalm 20: 1,4-5

May the Lord answer you when you are in distress;
may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.
May He give you the desires of your heart
and make all your plans succeed.
We will shout for joy when you are victorious
and will lift up our banners in the name of our God.
May the Lord grant all of your requests.


I see Him answering and protecting her daily. I know some of the desires of her heart, and can guess at a few plans, but I think there are many that remain just between her and God. In these recent days, however, I sense God pulling back the curtain just a bit, and revealing the giggling girl full of anticipation and excitement who has been waiting to burst forth.

My spirit shouts even now, while at the same time I hear "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"
May God grant the mercy and grace for us to see her completely victorious.

No comments: