Friday, November 10, 2006

Nursing Overtime

Just a quick note to say all is well with Abbie. It's everything else in our life that's been keeping me from posting. Ray has been ill since last Thursday, and actually had to stay home from work Monday through Wednesday. I don't believe that's ever happened before, and it's a good indicator of how miserable he was. Chase was also sick on Monday and Tuesday, so my acquired nursing skills were put into use. Unfortunately, Debbie was also sick on Monday and Tuesday, so I felt a bit like the hamster on the wheel...running as hard as I could but not really getting anywhere.

The outcome of the moms vs. boys football game last weekend was, of course, a TIE! We found that throwing candy on the ground during a punt is a good distraction technique when playing against eight and nine year olds.

We are very fortunate to have the folks from Litegait, the maker of The Walkable, in town for a conference. They gave a lunchtime presentation to therapists at the children's hospital today, which I got to attend a portion of. Tomorrow they are going to meet us again at the hospital, but this time I am going to bring Abbie along so that can do a one-on-one consultation for her. We will be able to learn so much from them, not only about how to get Abbie walking again, but also about how to use the Walkable in creative ways to help with sitting, crawling, and playing. I was so enthused by the material I heard today that I put Abbie up in the Walkable this evening. I realized that even without orthotics we could still use it, we may just not be able to have her bear as much weight.

It has probably been 8 weeks since she's been up, and that girl always amazes me. She held her head and trunk for 10 minutes straight, looking as if she were thinking "ho-hum, I do this all the time." I was able to get her feet into a good position, with the heels almost all the way down - much more than I expected after this long break. Again, proof that she is improving even when we are not working on certain areas.

I was feeling pretty ragged earlier this week, and when that happens I tend to drift away from my moorings. About the time I was meandering into some serious waves, my sweet friend Julie K. sent me an encouraging note with a Bible verse that made me sit, catch my breath, and recharge, and then allowed me to get up again with a smile. So, I want to leave you with that same verse tonight.

I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.
Eph. 1: 16-19

No comments: