Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A New Report Card

I am pleased to share Miss Abbie's latest MEAD "grade"! After falling back down to -2 millivolts, when we measured her last Friday she was back up to -10!! I believe that this means that the new diet is starting to work. She has been on it for almost 5 weeks now, and we were told to expect changes to start manifesting 6-8 weeks after we started it. I think we should be able to avoid any more big drops in the future, and hope that this is just the beginning of a steady incline in her voltage.

HBOT continues to go well. She hardly fusses at all during the dives and often dozes for the last 15 minutes or so. Her burn is healing so well -- of the 9 inches originally burned, only about 3 of it is still open, and that is close to healing as well.

Because of staffing changes, we recently began working with a new OT, Patty. She is really good with Abbie, and we discovered this week that she is just the human jukebox we have been searching for. Her songs kept Abbie engaged and motivated during the session. We saw some good vision things, including some tracking, and she was so good with head control that we stopped even timing it.

We do have a big prayer request. For the first time since Abbie was injured, Ray and I are taking the boys on a little getaway. We will be going to Disneyland over the weekend, leaving Abbie in the care of Debbie, Genevieve and some very faithful friends. This was a hard decision for us, but our boys have sacrificed so much these past couple of years, and we have missed out on a lot with them. We saw them growing up before our eyes and knew that we were missing the window. Please pray that Abbie would be healthy, that her caregivers would be confident and comfortable in caring for her. Please pray that we (really I mean "I") can relax and trust while we are away. Matthew was tearful for three days after we told him we were going without Abbie, saying, "If she's not going, I don't want to go either." I was so blessed to see his heart for his sister. But, this will be a good thing for all of us....and next year we are planning on Abbie walking around Disneyland with us!

A very happy birthday to our son Kyle, who turns 14 today (9/27). Can it be that long ago that I watched the sun rise over Mount Rainier as I held my brand new baby boy? He actually left this morning for a three day leadership camp with his class, so we settled for birthday waffles with whipped cream and candles this morning. We are so proud of the young man he is becoming and are so thankful that God blessed our family with him!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Reading your new posts are always such a pleasure for me. This one, as do most, gave me chills. Your boys seem like such wonderful young men. What great parents you both must be to have raised such confident, caring kids. Abby is as lucky to have them as they are to have her.
Try to enjoy your time on vacation. I'm sure Abby will be just fine and you all can spend some days not thinking about the medical world, but the magic kingdom instead! When Abby is talking again she will tell you that she wouldn't have had it any other way.
I continue to pray for Abby's health and I'm so amazed by the changes that have been coming so quickly over the last few months. I just know that balloon I sent up to God from the Black Hills of South Dakota has reached him and he has answered my prayer for your little girl.

Luke's Mom said...

You have been in my prayers often these last few days. I've been praying that this vacation will be one of the best you've ever had. I've also been praying that things are going smoothly with Abbie while you are gone.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYLE! I wish you would all come back to see Mt. Rainier again, it would be great for your family to meet your family in person.

Love in Christ,
Sue